It's cake. Wait, no it's bread. It's bread cake. This banana bread cake is actually my favorite recipe for banana bread, turned cake with the addition of some lemon mascarpone frosting. This cake features brown rice flour, chia seeds, coconut, oats, brown sugar and of course, bananas. It's a simple yet elegant way to make something (from the pantry) when you are invited to a last minute dinner party. Tastes like a good old banana bread, but the simple shape of the pan, frosting and a few flowers (plucked from a vase!) can really up the wow factor.
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 tsp baking powder
4 very ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk or alternative milk (almond, soy etc)
1/2 cup mascarpone or cream cheese
1/2 stick butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp cream
1) Mix all ingrediets together beginning with the wet ingredients.
2) line two small cake pans with parchment paper (or one large loaf pan!)
3) Divide batter among pans and and bake at 350F for 45 minutes (make sure to test the doneness with a toothpick)
4) allow cake to cook completely before frosting.
5) In a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese with the butter. Gently add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat in cream as needed.